Basics helps develop the players to their full potential ON and OFF the court. Basics players receive strong direction with skills that apply whether they have a ball in their hands or not. School is first always, respect for one another, hard work, showing up on time, making eye contact, learning from mistakes, handling disappointment, frustration and defeat, winning and losing with dignity, developing poise and composure, improving listening skills are just a few of the traits that apply to competitive players on and off the court.
There are numerous avenues of development young players may choose to help achieve their goals. These goals may range from making their middle school team to playing professional basketball. Basics is one of many entities providing such an opportunity. While Basics is not the only way, we have provided significant development for many of our participants and aided in helping them reach their potential. To date Basics has 94 program graduates playing in college, including 11 at the D-1 level.
Our technical approach to the game is based on great conditioning, teaching the players to UNDERSTAND the skills, unmatched defensive intensity and a team wide discipline rooted in hard work, sharp execution and team work.
- in helping kids become the best players they can become while assisting them in their growth, maturity and development off the playing surface.
- in ONLY a limited number of players at one time to allow kids to pay attention and stay on task.
- that kids can excel and reach their potential without travel.
- that players younger than 13 should never be cut.
- that parents have only 2 roles: spectate and support.
- that competition does not equal competitive growth.
- our coaches must be trained, motivated, committed, capable, patient and caring.
- kids who can not afford to play should be given the opportunity to play anyway.
- athletics are fertile ground for helping teach kids about life.
We believe Basics training is the most competitive training anywhere. Over 90% of our players make their school teams. We are closing in on 100 program graduates at the college level.
We are honored to work with this No More Sidelines and strongly encourage your child to join us when there are opportunities.
Since the tragic events of 2012, Basics Sports has run basketball training in Newtown, CT, assisting those in need and donating all funds to the Newtown Youth Academy.