Click on image to read "Arnie and Me."
Basics Mental Strength Training is rooted in Coach McGannon’s 5 years as a playing professional, based in Pinehurst, North Carolina. As this 1:18 swing video illustrates, Coach at 6’9″ and with not much playing experience beyond college golf in New Hampshire, his technique is good but not great. The only way he was able to compete at that level is he understands how to think BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the COMPETITION.
- .40: “How to Hit a Chip and Run.”
- 1:25: “Around the World Putting Drill”
- .52: “The Pre-Shot Routine”
Caddied for Arnold Palmer in a practice round to the 1994 US Senior Open in Pinehurst. This incredible experience is described in coach’s story “Arnie and Me.”
Coach is the only player to win BOTH the Muskegon County Senior and Muskegon County OPEN in the same year: Article
- Member, Dartmouth College Varsity Golf Team
- Dartmouth College Golf Champion, 1981 (The Thomas Keene Cup)
Coach was the Caddie Master at Pinehurst # 2 from 1991-1995. His experiences there are noted in detail in Rick Reilly’s 1994 Sports Illustrated article “Dealt a Bad Hand.”
- Qualified for Connecticut Amateur 3 times
- Qualified for Connecticut Open twice
- Qualified for North-South Amateur: 1991
- Sectional Qualifier, United States Open, 1995
- Qualified for Michigan Amateur 3 times: 2000,2001, 2002
- Medalist (low score) Michigan Amateur qualifier, twice
- Muskegon County Senior Champion, 3 times 2009, 2012, 2014
- Muskegon County Open Champion, 2012
If you are interested in golf lessons for yourself or a family member, please fill in the info below and Coach will get in touch with you.