“Your pyramid is an important reminder for athletes, parents and coaches as to the importance of developing fundamentals of the game. Without sound and fully developed fundamentals, players will never play to their potential.”
Bobby Field, Athletic Director (ret), UCLA. Bobby was a close friend of Coach Wooden.
Basics Pyramid of Skill is in tribute to Coach John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success.
Youth Basketball Leagues
Grade School, Middle School and High School basketball
- Basics believes the truest and purest form of youth basketball is school sponsored teams and competition.
- While non school-related basketball can be great preparation, external organizations are often manipulative of the parents and players–IE emphasizing games over practice, travel as a “code for competition” and tournament results over normal skill development.
- Results and outcomes of non-school related basketball events (Tourneys, games, leagues etc) are in Basics’s opinion meaningless.
- The primary focus of ALL non-school related basketball should be skill development and preparation for school teams.
If you or your community is interested in applying Basics methodology to your youth program, contact Coach McGannon at 616 402-1600.
- Youth Basketball Tournaments–4:46
- The folly of Travel Basketball–5:12
- Teaching Plays VS Teaching Kids HOW to Play–4:06
- Basics Coaching Seminars–can be held in your community
- Normal Improvement is VERY difficult
Also available: Step by step process for running, managing, repairing youth basketball leagues
- DO NOT REGISTER YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER FOR ANY LEAGUE OR COMPETITION UNLESS THEY HAVE MODEST TO SHARP SKILLS.
- THIS BENCHMARK DESCRIBES LESS THAN 3% OF THE YOUTH BB PLAYERS THROUGH 12th GRADE
- PLAYERS WITHOUT SHARP SKILLS WHO ARE FORCED TO COMPETE NOT ONLY FAIL, BUT OFTEN REGRESS–I.E. THEY REGRESS
- THIS IS A PRIMARY REASON WHY 75% OF THE PLAYERS AGES 13 AND OLDER QUIT THE GAME
- WHERE IS YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER’S SKILL LEVEL NOW–See 2 Basics Drills below that will TELL YOU EMPIRICALLY where your son or daughter is on the skill spectrum
- MIKAN DRILL PROGRESSION SCORES HERE–5TH-12TH GRADE.
- Plus 1 Minus 1 Shooting Drill: What is your child’s number? Go as often as you want!